Your clever milk solutions

 
Your clever milk solutionsAfter six years, I’m still surprised and inspired by you, our Healthy Food Guide readers.
Two weeks ago, when I asked how the price of milk was affecting you, I expected you to complain that milk was outrageously priced; that it was a conspiracy on the part of Fonterra; the government should do something about it, etc etc.
I should have learned by now not to pre-judge!
Because instead of complaints, I received some wonderful stories about the creative, practical ways you're getting on with it; making it work even though milk is expensive; figuring out how to get that essential dairy into your families' diets. In general, you're simply not prepared to compromise on this.
Many readers echoed Elizabeth: “I buy milk – and cheese – anyway, regardless of price. I think the calcium and protein is important. I just reduce spending on something else like, for example, biscuits. I try to bake these instead. Don’t mean to sound like a ‘goody two-shoes’ but I never buy carbonated soft drinks. These are just a waste of money, having no nutritional value whatsoever.”
I loved this too, from Debbe, which perfectly sums up a healthy attitude: “I personally don't know how the dollar value for milk is made up but I do know that with four children still in the house, milk is a big part of our diet. I believe we need it and I'm not about to change our habits when it comes to something so important.
“We are on a low income. We do have the odd soft drinks in the house but I still always make sure that we have milk, yoghurt, fruit and veges. We don't go out, don't smoke, don't drink (well, not often) and we have no social life. But we made the choice to have children and they are our life, and as such we do what we feel is best for them. Yes, it’s hard sometimes, I'd love to be able to go out for dinner sometimes or see a movie, but it's all about priorities.”
Quite a few of you told me you use milk powder now, which sounds like it has come a long way since the last time I tried it! Mel says: “If you make it up with cold water, it’s ready to drink instantly. More importantly, there isn't any powdery taste or gritty residue – I guess the technology has changed over the years. The most important thing for us is that it is $11.15 per 1 kg bag. So milk works out at $1.11 per litre – less than half the price of fresh.”
We’ll be featuring more of your clever tips in upcoming issues of Healthy Food Guide magazine. In the meantime, give yourselves a big pat on the back; you’re doing great.
http://www.healthyfood.co.nz/articles/searchcategories?vocabulary_name=hfm.categories.foodandnutrients&catalog_index=foodandnutrients_categories&vocabulary_term=dairyproducts

No comments:

Post a Comment